Old March 8th 05, 07:20 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default [London] transport related sights

In the message ...
"Tadej Brezina" wrote :
Guys!

Thank you so much for the vast amount of information you provided. I'll
try to fit as much as possible into my timetable.

One last question regarding transport in general, although it might not
fit 100% into the newsgroups agenda:
Where are - presuming that there are - pedestrian precincts, crowded
public squares with a lot of pedestrian space and old ("ancient")
precincts with winding narrow streets? (classic districts of pre
motorisation age)

The lack of responses to this question is already revealing ;-)
There isn't really anywhere that fits both parts of this description; the
Philips Street Atlas shows that the streets around Leicester Square have
become a 'pedestrian precinct', but as they are in the 'West End', they
aren't particularly winding or narrow. There's no shortage of narrow winding
streets in the older parts of the capital, but IMHO the only ones that are
worth visiting are in the City, within 1 km around Bank station. They aren't
exclusively for pedestrians, strictly speaking, but motor vehicles are
certainly deterred, and the area includes many historic buildings.

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)