Old August 14th 03, 08:46 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Box Junction Penalty

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:24:20 GMT, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Seeing the above Highway Code URL has reminded me of the rule about turning
into a road where pedestrians are crossing. Notice that it says "if they are
already crossing". As a cyclist and a driver, I've seen a lot of pedestrians
treating sideroads as if they were zebra crossings - ie as if they have the
right to hold traffic up indefinitely, rather than waiting until the road is
clear before crossing :-( As a pedestrian, I wouldn't dream of starting to
cross a road (except on a zebra crossing or a pelican crossing) unless it
was safe to do so.

While many may be doing this just out of stubbornness, it's useful to
know that, in Germany, pedestrians legally have the right of way over
turning cars at this kind of junction. Indeed, the pedestrian lights
turn green when the traffic lights are still green in one direction.

It took some getting used to when travelling back home from Germany by
train via London - after being beeped a few times in London I
remembered the UK's different traffic laws!

Neil