Old August 14th 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Dulieu Steve Dulieu is offline

Default Northern Line - again!

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Dave" wrote in
message ...
Rob writes
I wonder if the current Northern line trains were built
to allow for a future conversion to Central line style
automatic train operation.

yes they are, all the buttons are there, not sure if
atp/ato contorllers have been installed.

Good news!

I wouldn't hold your breath, '73 stock (Piccadilly) were
built with the buttons to allow for Victoria like ATO. they
were never used and were taken out (those that hadn't
already fallen out) when the stock got refurbed.

The wiring etc for OPO operation was in place in 73s when first

introduced
bt there were no buttons in the cab other than those for opening and

closing
the doors.

I must have been seeing things for those 10 years I was driving them for
then...

I was working them from 1976 til 1984, you?

'85 to '01 (I realise this is more than 10 years, I knocked some off for
being a guard, displaced by OPO, few years driving refurbs (may their
designer roast in hell)) on the back at first then on the front from about
'90 onwards. The driver's panel was covered by a large perspex panel secured
by 6 xhead screws, beneath which were the speedo, air gauge, a couple of
indicator lights, ISTR a red one and a blue one (de-icing fluid?) and below
and between the gauges two ATO buttons (more often than not, one or both
were missing leaving just the holes) which were gradually replaced by a pair
of blanking plates.
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have