Old March 11th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Barking-Greenford?

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
ups.com...

The only problem with reinstatement of Greenford main line platforms is
that they're probably totally unusable, in the same way that the down
island at Princes Risborough became unusable. Unless the platforms were
found to be sound, you would be forced to either completely demolish
and rebuild the station, or move it somewhere else.

A new platform would certainly be necessary but using the modular concept
that is now popular would be infinitely cheaper than remodelling to enable
trains to use the LU station (the bay is too short in any case).

Crossrail doesn't need to go to Wymcobe; if the link line is to be used
at all it should only go as far as Greenford. Interconnecting with the
Ruislips is probably not necessary; both stations are probably
overprovided for as it is. High Wycombe has excellent services anyway
and IMHO the presence of Crossrail on the GW/GC would be unwelcome to
Chiltern. And if Crossrail does make it to Greenford, anyone starting
at the Ruislips will simply take the Central Line to Greenford and
change anyway.

I disagree. I regularly travel down to Ealing and changing to the Central
line at South Ruislip and back to NR at Greenford is a complete pain and
wastes a hell of a lot of time. I know others who already make the same
journey. How many might make that journey if it was made more convenient?
Personally, I still think that if the Greenford shuttle is cut back then it
should be transferred to a Chiltern operation, feeding the GWML, from the
Ruislips or beyond. There is quite a market for passengers from the Home
Counties heading west and vice versa.