Old August 14th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default Northern Line - again!

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in
message

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Dave" wrote in
message ...
Rob writes
I wonder if the current Northern line trains were
built
to allow for a future conversion to Central line
style
automatic train operation.

yes they are, all the buttons are there, not sure if
atp/ato contorllers have been installed.

Good news!

I wouldn't hold your breath, '73 stock (Piccadilly) were
built with the buttons to allow for Victoria like ATO.
they
were never used and were taken out (those that hadn't
already fallen out) when the stock got refurbed.

The wiring etc for OPO operation was in place in 73s
when first introduced bt there were no buttons in the
cab other than those for opening and closing the doors.

I must have been seeing things for those 10 years I was
driving them for then...

I was working them from 1976 til 1984, you?

'85 to '01 (I realise this is more than 10 years, I knocked
some off for being a guard, displaced by OPO, few years
driving refurbs (may their designer roast in hell)) on the
back at first then on the front from about '90 onwards.
The driver's panel was covered by a large perspex panel
secured by 6 xhead screws, beneath which were the speedo,
air gauge, a couple of indicator lights, ISTR a red one and
a blue one (de-icing fluid?) and below and between the
gauges two ATO buttons (more often than not, one or both
were missing leaving just the holes) which were gradually
replaced by a pair of blanking plates.

I recall the blanking plates and at the time I was on the Picc we were
always led to believe that 73s were wired and set up for OPO. The Drivers
Control Switch and Guards Position Switch only needing a bar to conect them
so they could be operated with a single key and all the wiring in place in
the desk for the buttons etc as you've indicated.

As introduced the .perspex panel wasn't there, that came later after it was
realised that tea/coffee and electrics don't mix, someone somewhere was
under the impression that traincrew didn't need to drink tea or coffee.

If you're interested I'll email you copies of the cab diagrams we were
supplied with during stock training.