Old August 14th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Robert Woolley Robert Woolley is offline

Default Camera like sensors on top of traffic lights

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:09:24 +0100, David Cowie
wrote:

They look like cameras. Think on the side is printer FB Detection
(FireBrigade?). Are they testing to see if there are any cars at the
lights before turning red ? These lights do seem particularly short if
there are no cars and I'm on bicycle attempting to get to them before
turning amber.

Any ideas on how they work or how to make them work for me ?

They are detectors which use microwaves to 'see traffic' and adjust
accordingly. Microwaves get reflected by moving metal objects. They
don't work well if traffic is generally very slow moving.

Microwave detectors are replacing inductive loop detectors.

Rob.
Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk