Old March 14th 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Oyster flambe

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 14 Mar 2005 03:06:54 -0800, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

This incident was caused by a car driving into the engine thus
causing the fire. The fire was contained within the engine
compartment and did not engulf the whole vehicle.

Why does a car driving into the engine compartment cause a fire.
Seems like a design fault. Cars drive into each other all the time
and don't catch fire and they have fuel that is far more
combustable than a bus.

I was simply repeating what I'd read elsewhere. I'm not an expert
on the relative combustion risks of cars vs buses.

Tonight's Standard (yes, I know, not the most reliable source) talks
about a minor collision that might have occurred. Curiously, none of
the original news reports that I have seen mentioned a collision, so it
sounds as if it was very minor. The Standard also suggests that the
fire suppression system in the engine compartment, installed last year
after the major fires on bendy buses, failed to work.
--
Richard J.