Old March 14th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
umpston umpston is offline

Default News Flash: Epping and Ongar line Easter Opening dates!!!

Robin May wrote:
"Boltar" wrote the following in:
oups.com

Robin May wrote:
"Boltar" wrote the following in:
ups.com
In that case the proposed extension of the met line over the

derelict
network rail croxley line to watford high street is buggered
then.

No, because that's an extension of an existing network.

I think you're splitting hairs.

I'm not the one who makes the rules!

If the Ongar line had never been
severed
from the rest of the central line but ownership had simply passed
to the
EOR I can't see how there could be any legal objections to it
remaining electrified.

You'd have to take that up with HMRI.

--
message by Robin May.

But Robin - are you certain this is an actual HMRI ruling?

I recall earlier reports that the lineside wiring was stripped by
thieves after the power was switched off. I also heard that EOR were
criticised for removing the power rails but leaving the supports and
insulators in place - a trip hazard for track workers. I presume
they've now removed them.

I can well imagine the insurance and training requirements of an
electric railway might be expensive and onerous for a volunteer
organisation. But I've not heard of any specific HMRI ruling against
either this or against re-opening an existing railway with fully
exposed conductor rails - someone (possibly from EOR) may well be able
to correct me!

By the way, I wish EOR well but I think they'd need to make peace with
ORPS before I would consider supporting either organisation. I hope at
least to come for a ride soon.