Old March 16th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sir Benjamin Nunn Sir Benjamin Nunn is offline

Default Oyster Pre-Pay Anomaly?

"Jim" wrote in message
k...

I'd also be interested in hearing about your tube journeys to work when
you lived in Covent Garden and worked in Leicester Square.

Yes, yes. But it doesn't take much imagination to work out that Euston
(main line station.....get the hint??) - Mornington Crescent is often a
reasonable choice. I knew that the net saving in terms of walking distance
was probably only around 500 metres (and the full distance is quite a
schlepp - have you walked it?), but the reduced effort when carrying
luggage was very attractive, believe me! I even suspect that the tube
might have been quicker than walking sometimes, although that was not a
concern for me.

Taxi, bus and walking have their various drawbacks too - people just weigh
the pros and cons differently, depending on the situation and what their
preferences are.

Reduced effort? Euston NR to the CX platforms necessitates the descent of
three escalators/stairs and considerable walking. At MC it's stairs and lift
to get back to the surface - I'd rather walk about 1/3 of a mile on a level
surface with my luggage than do that.

Assuming an average waiting time of about 2 mins on the CX branch, I reckon
it would actually be quicker to exit Euston on the Eversholt street and walk
up to MC, than to take the Underground.

When I worked in between MC and Camden Town, I thought nothing of walking to
Euston, and I'm a right fat lazy *******, me.

BTN