Old March 16th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

Default Oyster Pre-Pay Anomaly?

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
k...

OK that's up to you, but do you at least admit that the decision depends
on various factors, for example how heavy the luggage is and whether
there are wheels on it? Whether it's raining? Can you honestly not
imagine a situation where this tube journey might ever be a good idea?
Even if you can't, you have to admit there's not much in it, surely?

I agree there's not much in it, which is why I find the idea of someone
paying a £2 fare for the privilege (vs a short, free walk) fairly
unlikely.

Obviously it would be a different matter if you already had a travelcard,
so the cost of the journey would effectively be free, but that's straying
from the original point about somebody paying the single fare to make a
journey from Euston to MC.

When I worked in between MC and Camden Town, I thought nothing of
walking to Euston, and I'm a right fat lazy *******, me.

That's not quite my point - what I'm saying is there may be circumstances
when what seems to you at first sight like an idiotic solution is a
perfectly good idea.

Sorry, I can only see very, _very_ exceptional circumstances, in which
paying full fare to go from the surface at Euston to the surface at MC
would be a good idea.

For example, if I needed to go somewhere North of MC, and there was a
violent riot taking place in Eversholt street, I might consider it.

I think you'd be surprised how many people would do this under much less
exceptional circumstances.

xx j