Old March 16th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

Default Tube so expensive

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Actually, the real cost of motoring *has* gone down, hence (partly) the
growth in the number and length of car journeys.

Despite the statistics (I've heard this before) I don't believe it. Having
said that, it's not a party political thing as both the main parties are as
bad as each other.

How would cutting car taxes benefit the country? More congestion, more
pollution and less tax revenue to spend on public services?

Depends on the taxes. VED is fundamentally unfair and tends to increase
congestion (if you've already paid it then why not take the car?). Petrol
taxes seem a much fairer option but only instead of VED not as well.