Old March 19th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Saturday parking hours

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
I remember when people used to be encouraged to shop in town centres,
parking was simple, free - or very cheap, and charged after the event
(avoiding the PRP parking vultures). Its no wonder that our towns and
villages are becoming a local shop, maybe a pub, and 16 estate agents.
Destroying the town in the anti-private-transport quest.

Yes, that must be it... not trying to save our town centres from
becoming car-jammed polluted nightmares.

Save it for who? Theres no reason to go into most town centres now.

If you really want to stop the polution, noise and smells, you'd have
pedestrianised streets in the middle with NO BUSSES, and you'd have cheap
(or free - theres a thought!) carparks nearby. Effectivly it would become an
out-of-town shopping center, in the middle of town.

On a similar point, why do station carparks charge you money? When I lived
near Warrington the local station had a small (free) car park, as well as
plenty of space 50 yards away in the shopping center car park. 20 minutes
from Birchwood and you're in the center of Manchester.

If you want to encourage people to use trains, why charge them to park at
the stations? Why not make park and rid schemes (for commuting. carrying a
bookshelf or a weeks shopping back on the train just isn't a nice thing to
do) cheap, safe, reliable and easy.

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.