Old March 20th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonn Elledge Jonn Elledge is offline

Default Cheapest way to extend Bakerloo south of E&C?

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On 18 Mar 2005, Jim Brown wrote:

Of course this is the other option of squeezing in some tracks in
overland somewhere which might just be doable.

If it is, ideal; is it? John Rowland's notes mention "Bricklayer's Arms
and over the disused trackbed to Lewisham"; i have no idea if that's still
there.

They're not, and parts of them have been built over, though I'm not sure how
much. This is a great personal tragedy to me as I live off the Bricklayers'
Arms end of the Old Kent Road in a place that's incredibly central (I walk
to work every day) but just far enough from the tube that everyone thinks
you live on Mars. On the upside, it's bloody cheap.

But a new extension to Bricklayers' Arms (on Mandela Way perhaps), Canal
Bridge (by Rotherhithe New Road), Surrey Canal Road (interchange with the
ELLX), New Cross, St John's, Lewisham would be a pretty handy improvement of
one of inner London's biggest rail blackspots.

Jonn