Old March 22nd 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Need accomodation/transport advice

In message , philosopher
writes
I am from North East england and have to move to london in 2 weeks to start
my new job in central london.

Good luck.

I have only been to london half a dozen times and dont have a clue where to
start.

London can often seem a daunting and bewilderingly large place, even to
people who come from other large cities. You'' almost certainly find
yourself in the company of many other people who're either recently
arrived or at any rate come from "somewhere else"!

ive been looking on rightmove for flats/studio for a single person to rent
(not sharing) but it has confused me further. I can afford £400 to £500 per
month... There seem to be some affordable flats in Hackney, and also near
Deptford, can anyone tell me how long it would take to walk from these areas
to Monument station (near where i will be working)?, i dont mind walking
upto 40 minutes to save money? is hackney/deptford nice place? any other ok
areas to live?

"Okay areas to live" is a very subjective term. They're both very much
inner city places and have a high proportion of urban deprivation. On
the plus side they're convenient for a whole range of activities and
access to other areas.

That said, neither is especially well known to me so maybe some other
posters will come along to comment further. You can expect a fair bit
of "Hackney/Deptford is pants" type postings but I assume that if you
could afford to live in a suburb like Stanmore, Enfield or Richmond then
you'd have said so!

i also need to consider transport costs as the underground
passess are quite expensive if i further away from central london.

Buses are cheaper than tubes/trains.

From Hackney to Monument you can take a 48 bus (it takes 30-35 minutes,
depending on the traffic).

Deptford is a bit harder by bus I should think. The 47 runs from there
through Bermondsey and across London bridge to Monument, though.

You can buy bus passes at £11.00 for a week £42.30 for a month or even
£440.00 for a year.

For one single bus ride in each direction per day, though, it might work
out cheaper for you to buy an "Oyster" Card. This is a stored value
ticket, like a phonecard, which you "load" with money at stations or
ticket agents. Each time you use a bus, it will deduct £1.00 before 0930
and 80p after. This sort of ticket is also handy if you occasionally
catch the Underground (unlikely to/from Deptford or Hackney, though,
neither of these being on the Underground network).

any other advice for me (single male, graduate with student loans), sorry if
it is a vague question.

Just to wish you good luck with the move. London is only a lonely
place if you make it so. There are thousands - literally - of things
to do, to join and to see.

All the best.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG