Old March 22nd 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Driving Instructions

In message , mo
writes
If I am on the Chiswick roundbaout and I want to get to central london what
roads should i be using (looking to get near Bow Street) - is it the A4?

The straightest route is, theoretically via the A4, Hammersmith Flyover,
Cromwell Road, Piccadilly underpass, Piccadilly Circus then via
Haymarket to Trafalgar Sq, Strand, Aldwych, etc.

However, it will all depend upon the time of day, and the type of
vehicle you are driving (you are not allowed to take commercial vehicles
or vehicles with adverts through the royal parks) as this will affect
the route.

Lets take a fairly quiet time. I would go from Cromwell Road to
Knightsbridge, Hyde park Corner, Constitution Hill, The Mall, Trafalgar
Sq, Duncannon St, The Strand, Aldwych, L Catherine St, L Exeter St, R
Wellington St forward to Bow St. Where *exactly* are you going in Bow St
and what time are you travelling. (at least my knowledge is still up to
date g)

I should have a GPS system but just wanna know whats going on if I cant use
it for whatever reason!

You need to be a bit concerned as there are some places in central
London where GPS signal is lost and you've gone past the point you
needed before you get the signal back.

In case you're wondering I am a working licensed taxi (black cab) driver
and also have a GPS system in my cab so can speak from experience.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England