Old March 22nd 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Driving Instructions

mo wrote:
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message news:5

BUT you can't use Constitution Hill and The Mall because they are
shut at that time on a Sunday.

we are going on a Saturday! we are going to the Fortune Theatre...

From Southampton you will be coming in along the M3, then the
A316, go past Twickenham and Richmond then use the flyover ( a bit
narrow and bumpy but saves a lot of waiting time at the lights) at
the Hogarth Roundabout (not Chiswick) to get to the A4.

the route i normally take is M3, M25, M4 to Chiswick Roundabout - I
can joi nthe A4 that way cant I?

No point. It's a longer way round, and you'll hit the roadworks on M25
near Heathrow and quite possibly a queue on M4 approaching Chiswick. M3
to its end, then A316 is much more direct.

where does the A4 end up? will it be easy enough to find signs
pointing to covent garden way (or what signs should we look for)

also last time we went we stayed in a NCP car park but i noticed a
lot of car parking spaces on roads, does russell street have any
and if not any large roads to check out before the NCP?

Going into Theatreland on a Saturday, you should expect lots of
congestion, lots of one-way streets, inadequate signs for your purpose,
virtually all street parking spaces occupied. I don't know about NCP
car parks in the area. I'm wondering why you are planning to drive all
the way. I wouldn't dream of driving that far into the centre on a
Saturday.

You might like to consider doing the last bit by Tube or train. For
example:

- Park in multi-storey next to Richmond station (just off A316),
continue by train to Waterloo, pleasant walk over Waterloo Bridge
- Park at Chiswick Station (just off A316, free street parking
available), trains every 15 minutes to Waterloo.
- Park at Hammersmith (not sure where but it can't be worse than the
centre), continue by Piccadilly Line to Covent Garden.
--
Richard J.