Old March 24th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Saturday parking hours

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:48:29 -0800, Richard Adamfi wrote:
In the south, trains are far busier. There is huge pressure on the
commuter network and if free parking was offered, the car parks would be
totally overloaded. Indeed, Chiltern Railways, concerned about severe
overcrowding at Bicester North station, have introduced a 'Taxibus'
service to try and cut down on parking at the station.

So on one hand we have the government trying to force us onto trains, and
on the other hand we have TOCs saying "no more!"

There's no problem with overcrowding on the Reading-London stopping
service aside from about an hour (arriving paddington 8AM-9AM).

The solution seems quite clear, the government should encourage flexi-time
and home working with tax breaks, and the TOCs should have off peak
tickets (the ~07:15 arrival at paddington is NOT a peak train)

Of course this would reduce TOC revenue (they want to cram as many people
into the carriages at as high a price as possilbe), and less people
driving means less money for the government.

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.