Old August 16th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Mobiles on public transport (was Radio on the Tube)

Thus spake Andrew Black

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

There are some 'quiet' coaches on trains. Thing is mobile phones are
useful whilst on PT, especially if there's a delay. Phones can be
tamed so that they don't disturb other passengers much. I really don't
think my sending text messages disturbs anybody.

I have no problem with short phone calls ("sorry I am going to be half an
hour late"). It's the long babble that annoys me (".... I saw Darren
yesterday..... He is going out with Tracey .....").

This also annoys me but I'm not entirely innocent. Some tariffs seem to
encourage mindless babble, especially at off-peak times.

I recknon people talk
louder on mobile phones than on landline phones.

I think they may speak a little louder; more to the point they do not
seek the quiet & seclusion customary with landline calls.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.