Old March 25th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

Dave Arquati wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually

intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get

them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any

way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose

someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU

season...)

Not really... you could have any National Rail ticket valid to
Farringdon (e.g. a single from Luton to Farringdon) and then you

would
touch in on the validators with an Oyster in order to continue your
journey on the Tube (e.g. to Whitechapel).

I suppose so, but I wonder how many people in e.g. Luton realise that
if they buy a ticket to "London" it won't be valid at Farringdon, so
they have to buy a ticket to "Farringdon LU"? In other words, how many
people would *correctly* use the validators for the journey you
describe? (Obviously a rhetorical question.)

IMHO the status of Farringdon as a non-London Terminal is a ridiculous
anomaly that catches out large numbers of people who believe themselves
to be holding a valid ticket. It's ridiculous that with my particular
season ticket I can get off the train at City Thameslink or KXT (a good
deal further on than Farringdon and no more of a "terminal" under
non-blockade circumstances), but if I dare to get off at the station
between them I risk a £10 penalty fare. Grr.