Old March 25th 05, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Dickinson Matthew Dickinson is offline

Default Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 25 Mar 2005 01:13:00 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

Matthew wrote:
.. .
The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let

you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the journey. The validators on platforms 5/6 must

be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

That could be useful to know, if only to avoid putting my season

ticket
through the gates.

Frequent use may well be monitored to stop "dumb-belling".

What does 'dumb-belling' mean?

"Dumb-belling" or short ticket fraud is where somebody uses passes
valid solely at each end of a long journey to pass through gatelines.
For example holding a Z1 travelcard and a Z6 travelcard, and making
regular Z1-6 journeys. Gates can be set to monitor this with paper
tickets, and I imagine on Oystercards too.