Old March 26th 05, 02:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Integrating river services

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:
Aidan Stanger wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Boats can be useful but the river serves a limited catchment area;
interchange is also difficult between river and other modes except at a
few choice locations (although I accept that that can be remedied).

Many locations upstream of Greenwich, and a few town centers downstream!

Downstream means a lengthy passage around the peninsula and through the
Thames Barrier, just to reach Woolwich,

You mean around Docklands?

Aidan said downstream from Greenwich, so that's what I was referring to
- the downstream route around the North Greenwich peninsula.

Doh! Good point. We'll just have to wait for the Bugsby's Ship Canal to
make that leg a bit quicker ...

No, it's not a good point at all. The tip of the Greenwich peninsula is
only about 300m N of Canary Wharf (E) so it's not a big obstacle - indeed
bypassing it would result in a much LONGER journey to Canary Wharf!