Old March 26th 05, 02:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Whitechapel Crossrail was Integrating river services

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

In the meantime, the money not spent on the CW branch would only cover
a small portion the cost of Crossrail 2, which I believe is costed as
even more expensive that Crossrail 1.

The 2bn saved from deleting the Canary Wharf branch and Whitechapel
stop, and locating the portal at Globetown, would pay for a fair chunk
of the Clapham Junction to Dalston Junction tunnel!

Why delete Whitechapel? Seems like a good place for a station to me.

It's way off course, and the deviation would significantly lengthen most
passengers' journeys. Considering it would also add hundreds of millions
of pounds to the cost, and require the spoil to be trucked away rather
than be removed by canal barge, it's not worth it.

Plus, even if you didn't build that branch, you'd want lo leave yourself
the option of building it some time in the future, and a station at
Whitechapel where you could link the tunnels would be ideal.

When it adds that much to the cost, I'd have to disagree. And anyway, it
would probably be better to have the Canary Wharf line part of a
separate Crossrail line serving the Euston Road termini.