Old March 30th 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jason Jason is offline

Default Need accomodation/transport advice

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:54:06 GMT, "philosopher"
wrote:

ive been looking on rightmove for flats/studio for a single person to rent
(not sharing) but it has confused me further. I can afford £400 to £500 per
month... There seem to be some affordable flats in Hackney, and also near
Deptford, can anyone tell me how long it would take to walk from these areas
to Monument station (near where i will be working)?, i dont mind walking
upto 40 minutes to save money? is hackney/deptford nice place? any other ok

Purchase a copy of the "New London Property Guide". It helped me no
end when I moved to London 6 years ago. This will tell you about
transport, council tax and the 'feel' of areas.

areas to live? i also need to consider transport costs as the underground
passess are quite expensive if i further away from central london.

One trick you can use to reduce transport costs is the use the bus for
the zone 1 leg of your journey. Why? Because any zonal ticket is valid
across the entire London bus network, and those without zone 1
tube/rail coverage are significantly cheaper.

For example, I used to spend almont £100 per month to travel between
zones 3 and 1 (and v.v.) but only traveled one station inside zone
one.

By purchasing a zone 2-3 season, and getting off the tube at the edge
of zone 2, and doing the last leg of zone one by bus, I've roughly
halved my travel costs to £50 per month.

--
Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.