Old March 30th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default Walking Underground

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In article , Brimstone
writes

"Ant W-M" wrote in message

Many thanks for these two useful postings. The information I really
need
in addition to this is which tube line interchanges are best avoided
because of those LONG walks along tunnels. Sometimes it seems like one
is
walking underground to another tube station!

In some cases, you are.

Yes, but only in some cases. Others look as though they are the result of
stupid design decisions, or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all three possible
interconnection seems to involve a very long walk and lots of stairs and
escalators. But both Victoria and Jubilee stations were built while the
system was in common ownership. It is hard to see why the Victoria line
was not placed so that it's station was directly above (or below) that of
the Piccadilly line, nor the Jubilee line station placed vertically above
(or below) the other two, so that a single escalator (and lift) system
would serve all three. This has been done, I'm glad to see, in the
Jubilee station at Westminster.

I'm sure there are a wide variety of reasons why the platforms were placed
where they are. I suspect geology and existing underground structures would
have been well up the list.