Old March 31st 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Walking Underground

John Rowland wrote:
"Clive Page" wrote in message

Others look as though they are the
result of stupid design decisions,

To bandy the word "stupid" around without detailed knowledge of the
constraints is unfair.

or perhaps thoughtless penny-pinching.

That I can believe.

Take Green Park station, for example, where all
three possible interconnection seems to involve
a very long walk and lots of stairs and escalators.
But both Victoria and Jubilee stations were built
while the system was in common ownership.

I don't know about Green Park, but I know that at Waterloo, modern
construction safety rules prevented them from building the Jubilee station
where they wanted. I believe this was the main reason why all of the Jubilee
interchanges are so poor compared to the rake of very convenient Victoria
Line interchanges built in a less fussy era.

I remember reading the reason behind the Green Park setup somewhere but,
annoyingly, I can't remember where. It's not on the Internet; I have a
feeling it was in the LT Museum bookshop...

There's definitely a good reason for it though.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7