Old March 31st 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default RIP 19 RMs

Well I went to say my farewells to RMs on the 19 yesterday.

Little to report, other than seeing RML2524 (Great Northern) and is it
RM. 25 (?) in Shillibeer livery. At least one of the other RMs seemed
in *extremely* good condition (like something more usually seen on the
13!). I didn't get the number but wondered if it was a showbus or
something?

A couple of other thoughts:

A few of the VLAs were already in service.

There were a few times when Piccadilly and Shaftesbury Avenue were still
a sea of Routemasters. The loss of the 19 will really deplete *that*
feeling now for good.

Battersea Bridge is an odd place for a terminus, isn't it? I realise
that it's operationally sensible with the bus garage being there but
it's not really much use as a traffic objective I wouldn't have thought?
(An extension to Clapham Common or Tooting, which I think it once
served, would surely make more sense?)

And of course still no news about the proposed Heritage routes.......

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk