Old August 17th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Thomas Covenant Thomas Covenant is offline

Default Five Day closure of Central Line (was surprised)

In article , Andrew wrote:
I remember the incident although am hazy about the dates. If I can find
some old documents relating to purchasing my home in London I may be able to
pinpoint the exact date. Sounds bizarre, but I remember that it happened
the day I collected the keys, hence making an unusual journey from Wapping
to Walthamstow and then to Leyton, and then trying to get into central
London to work. I remember hearing an announcement at Stratford station
saying there was no service on any underground line.

Likewise, I can't remember the exact date, but I do remember it covered a
complete weekend, and occurred before November 1994. (I think it was from a
Thursday afternoon to the following Monday afternoon).
The company I worked for had a rail replacement job between Loughton and
Epping that weekend, and we had to completely rewrite the schedules (on the
Friday afternoon) to extend it from Loughton to Woodford, then non stop to
Chingford.
I ended up working from 1400 on the Friday to 0130 Sunday, then 1430 Sunday
until 1200 Monday.

--
Thomas Covenant
Please reply to