Old April 1st 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default RIP 19 RMs

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:50:16 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Well I went to say my farewells to RMs on the 19 yesterday.

Little to report, other than seeing RML2524 (Great Northern) and is it
RM. 25 (?) in Shillibeer livery. At least one of the other RMs seemed
in *extremely* good condition (like something more usually seen on the
13!). I didn't get the number but wondered if it was a showbus or
something?

Unless I'm going ga-ga RM25 is in Great Northern Livery and 2524 is in
the Shillibeer livery. I actually managed to get a reasonable picture of
RM25 today - every previous attempt has been thwarted. No sign of
RML2524 although it was supposed to be doing late night runs but I
overhead a conversation that said it developed a defect yesterday.

Huge numbers of people out and about today including plenty of local
residents in Chelsea, Highbury / Arsenal and Battersea. Even kids taking
piccies with their camera phones. Lots of questions from the general
public and general disappointment when they learnt what was going on.

The preserved STL was running around and I caught up with it at Highbury
Barn where it was besieged by photographers - to an outsider you'd think
an act of worship was going on. Even the police trundled past looking
bemused :-)

The 19 has (had?) a proportion of the Marshall conversions which are
identical to the route 13 vehicles - new engines, transmission etc.
Having travelled in 2 or 3 today they are generally in very good nick -
more so than their brethren.

I can't begin to imagine what the actual last day of the Routemaster is
going to be like if the turn out and reaction on these last day events
is anything to go by.

And of course still no news about the proposed Heritage routes.......

There is a rumour that the "newer" (i.e. recent conversions) RMs from
the 19 are going into store for the Heritage routes.
--
Paul C