Old August 17th 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
I@n-N I@n-N is offline

Default Camera like sensors on top of traffic lights

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Peter Fox wrote:
Following on from David Cowie's message. . .
Seems that might be the only way I can get the light to change ! How
about a foil vest

Bit annoying waiting at the light (for it to change) knowing that
there's no way to activate a sensor and wait for a car to approach
before it'll change.

They are _speed_ sensitive with a cut-off at about 15mph. Complain
to the appropriate highway authority who should be able to tweak it
to cotton on to your approach..

Meanwhile, since bikes are traffic too, if it doesn't detect you it's
a failed traffic signal within the meaning of the act. This means,
once you're sure it's ignoring you and isn't set to change anyway at
some point, you can ignore it too (treat it as a give way).

Colin McKenzie

Yeah but most traffic lights will go through their sequence (and thus give a
green light to all exits) eventually ... they just give priority to the
major route and take ages to get around to the minor route when they have no
external influences (i.e. the sensors) telling them someone is waiting on
the minor route.

Besides, these traffic-light-top sensors detect me on my push bike fine -
but then I'm a big fat guy ... whoohoo, there are some advantages!