Old April 2nd 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Jeeves Richard Jeeves is offline

Default District Stock

"James Farrar" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:

Do you mean the buttons to open the doors ? If I remember correctly

these

were used during winter months, but during warmer months train

operators

were instructed to open all doors at station stops to help with

ventilation.

This is remembering from 3+ years ago when I was last in London, so

things

may have changed since then..

Andrew.

The buttons don't seem to be used at all nowadays.

And haven't been for about five years. I remember when I first came to
London (1997) the doors on D stock were passenger-operated in the winter
but always opened during the summer (as Andrew said). After a couple of
summers they just stayed on always-open all year round. I believe a
decision was taken that some pax were being confused by some trains having
doors with buttons that work and some that didn't. And some trains with no
buttons, of course.

I think it may have also had something to do with Health and Safety.