Old August 17th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Surprised

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Does anyone remember a major power cut on an early weekday morning

sometime
in the mid 1990s on the Underground ? If I remember it right it was

caused
by a cable failing somewhere near Blackwall which fed the eastern end

of
the
Central line, and the subsequent surge on other parts of the supply

system
caused a domino effect of fuses tripping until the whole system was

without
power. Supplies to traction, station lighting, signalling were lost.

Most
of the system got going again later in the day (early afternoon?),

although
the Central line east of Liverpool Street did not run for a further 5

days
or so.

CULG (http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/) does not mention any incident
that closed more than a station or three beteen 1957 & the problems
earlier this year.

Either you're missremembering something, or Clive doesn't know about
a 5 day closure east of Liverpool Street.

Personally, my money's on you missremembering (although proof to
the contrary would be most interesting!)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...tival.ed.ac.uk refers

a power-cut on the Central Line on 24th November 1993 which sounds like it
could be what the OP is referring to.

Peter Smyth

That would be it I think. The date sounds right. It did actually affect
all lines in some form.

Andrew