Old August 17th 03, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Surprised

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:36:39 +0000 (UTC) Mike Bristow wrote:
} In article ,
} Andrew wrote:
} Does anyone remember a major power cut on an early weekday morning sometime
} in the mid 1990s on the Underground ? If I remember it right it was caused
} by a cable failing somewhere near Blackwall which fed the eastern end of the
} Central line, and the subsequent surge on other parts of the supply system
} caused a domino effect of fuses tripping until the whole system was without
} power. Supplies to traction, station lighting, signalling were lost. Most
} of the system got going again later in the day (early afternoon?), although
} the Central line east of Liverpool Street did not run for a further 5 days
} or so.
}
} CULG (http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/) does not mention any incident
} that closed more than a station or three beteen 1957 & the problems
} earlier this year.
}
} Either you're missremembering something, or Clive doesn't know about
} a 5 day closure east of Liverpool Street.
}
} Personally, my money's on you missremembering (although proof to
} the contrary would be most interesting!)

If he's misremembering then so am I.

Bad cable, short, shorted again when "repaired" and the juioe restored.
And so on for a number of days.

Thing is I can't place *when*, but it certainly happened as te eastern
Central can be part of my commute and whenm it's out the alternative NR
route is hell.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/