Old April 4th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Jeeves Richard Jeeves is offline

Default District Stock

I think further moves will be done by rail. The link between National Rail
and the District Line at Umpinster Depot has been reinstated recently.

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"Brimstone" wrote in message

The real cost of moving "dead" rail vehicles is down to Network Rail's
access charges. These are such that even mainline TOCs move locos and

other
vehicles by road because it's cheaper. Stupid or what?

Not entirely true. Shunters, maiinline locomotives and stock unfit to move
at line speed without causing delays are moved by road. Most locomotives
and
stock fit to be moved at line speed are still moved by rail - for example
the convoys of slam-door Mark I stock being transported weekly to South
Wales or Immingham for scrapping, or the Class 312 units from Pig's Bay.
Only today a convoy of four class 56s have been moved from Immingham to
Healey Mills for continued storage at that location.