Old April 4th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Keith Spink Keith Spink is offline

Default Fantasy bus routes

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
ups.com...
Keith Spink wrote:

I would reinstate the 726 to run its original
complete route from Heathrow to Dartford, and
also extend it to Bluewater. I would increase
the appalling current frequency to something
more sensible like every 30 minutes.

The problem with making the route even longer
than it already is is of course that it will
make the reliability even worse than it already
is.

Wouldn't it be far better to run 2, 3 or even 4
express routes over the Bluewater - Heathrow
route with generous overlaps and better
frequency. Thus if buses were stuck on Hampton
Court Road for 40 minutes (not unheard of) then
people in Croydon would still have an express
route to Bromley.

Possibly two parts, but no more. The biggest problem with London is that
travelling from one outer London town to another is very tricky, without
either a very slow bus ride or going via Central London.

I still reckon that a frequent bus service from Croydon towards Heathrow
(the new X26), as well as an express route from Croydon toward Bromley,
Bexleyheath, Dartford and Bluewater has real potential.

I have not used the 726 in years, since it stopped running from the Bexley
area. But in the days when I did use it (just before it was cut), it was a
well used route, on my trips from Bexleyheath to Croydon.

Best wishes

Keith Spink
InfoTransport (http://www.infotransport.co.uk)
Transport Images (http://www.transportimages.com)