Old April 5th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Escalator at Angel

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Richard J.
writes

Is it one of the very long ones (the longest on
the Underground in fact)?

The upper flight at Angel is the longest on LU. At one point it was
claimed to be the longest in Western Europe.

That's interesting. I've got a book [1] that says the Piccadilly Line
escalator at Leicester Square is the longest: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope
/ 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m) vertical rise, giving an angle with the horizontal of
arcsin(24.6/49.6) = 30 degrees.

When was the Angel escalator installed? Did it replace a lift? In that case,
maybe it was installed since my book was written.

[1] The London Underground Illustrated, Oliver Green, Ian Allen, 1987, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4