Old August 17th 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Surprised

CJG wrote:
In message , Robin Mayes
writes
That there arn't any posts about the power cuts in America and the
chaos it caused on the New York subway. Perhaps CJD might have
realised that us knuckle-scraping morons might actually be needed to
come and rescue him one day?

If you mean me. I have been house hunting far away from London
Underground's monkey business. Better things to do than point out the
obvious about London Underground.
So anyway. Say the same happened here and the whole of London and
South East England lost its power. What exactly would happen on the
Underground?

Well, the theory is that the Greenwich power station (gas-turbine-powered I
believe) would start up and supply traction current, so that trains stuck in
tunnels could at least reach the next station. And emergency lighting in
stations would be powered by batteries for long enough to evacuate everyone
safely.

Two points that I would like answered:
1. Would the signals still work or would trains need to be moved under
emergency manual signalling?
2. Would the escalators and lifts be working, and if not how would
deep-level stations be evacuated?

And aren't New York's subway lines a lot nearer the surface. So if
they come to a halt then its a short walk to the surface.
And I can assure you if I was on the underground and the lights and
power went out I would be up in the fresh air way before the station
assistant has found his dusty safety instructions book.

So how would you do that if you were between stations on a tube train when
the power went off?
--
Richard J.