Old April 6th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default The infamous West London Tram survey

wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
What figure does that leave? About 68% in favour, and that's a
*minimum* support for the tram in the remaining boroughs - I'm
sure some people in the outer boroughs voted against it.

And your point is? You seem to be trying to argue something from
considering only part of this small and unrepresentative survey of
West London.

His point is that if you remove the statistically unrepresentative
part of the survey it shows at least 68% of the people in the
locality of the new tram route do support it and that that is
representative.

Of course it's not representative! It only covers the boroughs through
which the road runs. If you ask people in buses queuing along the
Uxbridge Road whether they would like a shiny new tram with other
traffic removed from the bottlenecks, of course you'll get a favourable
answer (or at least you will if you don't tell them they'll have further
to walk to their nearest tram stop). But if you ask people in Chiswick
whether the tram is a good idea although it will divert traffic along
their residential roads, you'll get a different response, which
apparently you think can be discounted.
--
Richard J.