Old April 8th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default the tube/ppp/northern line

Boltar wrote:
steve wrote:
few minutes to overcome the 4 months inconvenience? Is this like
the "we are holding this (packed full) train to regulate the
service style maths?".

Oh its not just the northern line that happens. I do love their
logic however. They've cancelled a train or the one behind the one
you're in is running late, so aswell as delaying everyone in the
train thats late, lets delay you and everyone in your train too!
Also note that LU will put up with late trains , but god forbid if
a train is early as it shall also suffer the "regulate the service"
pantomime. Brilliant! You have to admit, its pure genius.

No, just common sense which you clearly don't understand.

If you have trains A, B, C, D etc. running to a timetabled 2-minute
frequency in the peak, and train B gets cancelled, you'll have a
4-minute gap in the service. That gap will get longer and longer
because at least twice the normal number of passengers will be joining
train C at every station, causing longer dwell times. So not only does
train C get continually delayed and overcrowded, but trains D, E, F,
etc. also get delayed as they catch up with the slower train C.

By holding train A for one minute, producing two 3-minute gaps, you
spread the missing train B's passengers across two trains. This means
that there is a better chance of limiting the delays to trains C, D, E,
F etc. at the cost of one minute's delay to train A.

Holding a train which is running early avoids a long gap developing
behind it, which is essentially the same principle.
--
Richard J.