Old April 10th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default South Kensington Wireless LAN

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Robin Mayes wrote:
Yes, please don't try to hack into it.

Er, it seems that the OP's post would indirectly encourage such
activities simply by existing, disregarding any actions on the OP's
part.

Hopefully it will be shut down ASAP.

Presumably if the wireless LAN has been configured sensibly, it will reject
any "casual" attempts to connect to it:

- don't broadcast SSID

- only allow connections from PCs with specific MAC addresses (listed)

- WPA (or at the very least 128-bit WEP) security

At least if a passing PC is set to talk to any available wireless LAN, it
won't automatically connect to this network. NetStumbler and other similar
programs will show its existence (you can't really avoid that) but
passers-by won't know whose network it is, what range of IP addresses are in
use etc.

A quick drive by my local industrial estate today (with TCP disabled on my
laptop to avoid accidental connection!) showed a surprising number of
visible networks with SSID visible and a few with no encryption. I resisted
the temptation... ;-)