Old August 18th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shielding 750 volt 3rd rail ?

In article ,
(Boltar) wrote:

] (Arthur Figgis) wrote in message
Why re-invent the wheel, and introduce an incompatible new system at
huge expense? Internationally 25kV 50 Hz is effectively standard
nowadays, the equipment is available off the shelf (and once we shoot
all the Daily Mail readers, sorry, I mean sort out the important
political issues, we might even be able to get standard foreign trains
running through to Britain on it).

They'll only be able to run on the CTRL, they'd be too big for other
lines. I can't understand why we have such a restricted loading gauge in
this country, I mean we had broad gauge on the GWR for heavens sake,
surely the loading gauge of that line if nothing else must have been
built big enough for european trains?

Although our structure gauge (especially height) is a restriction on the
use of continental stock in this country I thought platform height was
also an issue, with our platforms liable to clash with continental
carriage steps?

--
Colin Rosenstiel