Old April 13th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default Rail symbol on tram destination blinds

In the message ...
"Michael Hoffman" a écrit
Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

On a recent trip by Tramink, I was struck by the fact that the former
'double arrow' symbol still widely used to identify National Rail

stations

What do you mean the "former 'double arrow' symbol?" It's still a double
arrow symbol, even if it's being used for "National Rail" instead of
British Rail.

I'm glad to hear that. But when at Wimbledon, I noticed that it isn't used
on the panel indicating the interchange facilities (where eg the the LT
'roundel' is used to point the way to the District Line platforms) ;
instead, the 'generic diesel loco front' symbol (I think it may be a UIC
pictogram for a railway station; it's not in the Highway Code or anywhere
else I've looked) is used to flag the way to SW Trains etc. on platforms
1-8. So I suspected the double-arrow symbol might be just a relic.

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)