Old April 15th 05, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Replacement Ticket

wrote:
It is an LUL issued ticket. They only issue monthly tickets on Oyster
but obviously weekly tickets are still paper.

Weekly tickets can be on Oyster too. Just fill in the registration form
and pay £3.00 deposit.

Any LU ticket office should exchange a paper ticket that is not working
for one that will open the gates.
The most common causes of failing paper tickets (in no particular order)
are; magnetic strip corrupted by close proximity to a mobile phone; bent
or crumpled ticket; ticket expects an opposite direction because it
hasn't been used to exit or enter the gates previously or a ticket put
through the gate before its starting date (in which case you'll see a 54
on the gate POD)

This morning the booking office at Brent X was unmanned and the gates
were in operation.

The ticket office was not unmanned. From your later comment it's clear
that the person in the ticket office was servicing the POMS (Passenger
Operated Ticket Machine)

Surely this is in breach of safety regulations. I couldn't get access
to the station despite banging on the window to get attention. Only
after setting off an alarm by trying to see if I could push a gate open
did somebody appear from the booking office. They had been doing
something with the money on the automatic machine.
OK in this instance it was only an inconvenience but had there been an
emergency and I had been trying to exit the station I would have been
trapped.

In an emergency the gates would have been put into evacuation mode and
would have opened automatically

Surely it is illegal to leave gates shut and unmanned. If it isn't it
damn well should be.

The rule is that someone has to be at least five seconds away from the
UTS gates.
--
Kat