Old April 17th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Why are Silverlink Metro trains NEVER on time ?

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:13:31 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

They do exist alright, they control when the drivers work, have lunch breaks
and go home. Mess that up and you are paying a hell of a lot more overtime
than if you mess around a couple of Silverlink drivers.

Perhaps so, but that's irrelevant to the passenger, who should take
priority here. Most LUL passengers are turn-up-and-go, and so to them
the timetable doesn't matter. Most passengers for a half-hourly heavy
rail service are not.

Anyhow, we're talking about a few minutes here and there, not hours on
end. That really shouldn't, unless the diagrams are far too tightly
planned, end up in the payment of masses of overtime.

I think it is unfair to blame LU for what goes on on that line.

I'm not *blaming* LUL. I just suggest that the punctuality or
otherwise of their services should be secondary to ones that need,
from a passenger perspective, to run to time. To be honest, I'd be
more inclined to lose the SS service completely and run the Bakerloo
through to Watford - it'd simplify the whole sorry mess. The
Harlequin Line, NLL and the likes are an embarrassment to a capital
city, TBH.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain