Old April 17th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default TfL and Silverlink Metro ( Why are Silverlink Metro trains NEVER on time ?)

Dave Arquati wrote:

It would be enlightening to see where they wanted to go upon
reaching Euston - are they generally heading for the West End
or City (and therefore need to change to the Underground anyway,
so they could find a relatively painless alternative route
using the Bakerloo) or are they heading for the vicinity of
Euston, where it would make a significant difference to their
journey time if they had to use the Bakerloo?

I've always wondered about this too. It seems to me that if the DC
service was curtailed in some way, maintaining the painless
cross-platform interchange available at Queens Park and Willesden
Junction would be critical. Restoring the second bay at Willesden LL
and installing a scissors-Y junction like the one that used to be at
Harrow Weald would be very useful, especially if any services started
via the incline to the east of the DC lines.

Similarly, if people north of Wealdstone want to go to Euston,
perhaps they would be better served by a train which didn't
stop at all stations south thereof?

Indeed. If I lived in Bushey and wanted to go to London I would catch a
DC service to Watford and get something fast.

Otherwise, I suppose another way to segregate the services
would be to extend the Bakerloo to Watford and turn the
Silverlink into a Queen's Park - Euston shuttle, but I don't
think that would work as well or be as popular.

A shuttle would probably be pointless given the availability of
alternative stations at Kilburn Park and Swiss Cottage with a
much wider range of destinations.

Not really. A Euston-Willesden shuttle might be worth investigating if
the DC service was to be largely superseded by a Bakerloo service to
Watford. It would maintain the interchange with the NLL and prevent
overcrowding on that section of the Bakerloo.

Would they be able to stop at Willesden Junction?

Not given the current infrastructure, but it would be possible
if some extra platforms were built... and maybe that would be
possible using some of the savings from not running the current
Watford-Euston service (presumably a hypothetical Watford-Clapham
service would not be as high frequency, so savings would be made).

The biggest problems at Willesden a

- short high-level platforms
- no easy west-facing route from the DC lines to the NLL

The former is not really critical, but the latter would involve some
major backflips. But if it were possible, services could be diverted to
Clapham and even Richmond!