Old April 18th 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Vernon Vernon is offline

Default Southern doors problem

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

There should be no safety inplications in the case of fire - the
problems are most often with securing the doors, rather than releasing

them.
There is a manual override for freeing the doors, in addition to the
emergency door releases in each vestibule.

The problems to which I am referring have all related to opening.

The latest of which I am aware occured about 0800 on Saturday morning at
Gatwick when a London bound train was stuck for nearly half and hour before
being withdrawn from service.

The report I had from someone who was on it was that it took staff about ten
minutes just to get the doors open hence my concern about fire safety.