Old April 18th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Why are Silverlink Metro trains NEVER on time ?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, asdf wrote:

and they are seriously considering re-extending the Bakerloo to
Watford and re-assessing the Silverlink services - they consider that
there is an over-supply of service to central London between
Wealdstone and Queen's Park.

I think people here are underestimating how popular Euston is as a
destination

So, how about adding *more* trains to the Euston service, and running it
on a tube-like basis?

The original problem is that TfL consider there not to be sufficient
demand to sustain the *current* level of service to central London
(whether that's Oxford Circus etc or Euston only) - I highly doubt that
an *increased* level of service would be viable - certainly not
fundable.

I thought that the problem was south of Harrow, which is really about
having all the Bakerloos, which people don't want, alongside the handful
of Silverlinks, which people do want. Granted, running 12 tph of each is
definitely overkill (there's 4 + 7-14 at the moment, i think), but the
solution can't be to destroy the Silverlinks, it has to be to cut back the
Bakerloo and run more Silverlinks! How about 6 tph of each, or 8 of
Silverlinks and 4 of Bakerloo?

The bottleneck at Euston is the killer, though. In the long run, doubling
or Crossrail N will solve it, but in the short run, i suppose there's
nothing that can be done.

That leaves capacity on the NR branch south of Queen's Park which
could be used for ELL services. I have no idea how they'd reverse at
Queen's Park; come to think of it, i have no idea how Bakerloos
reverse either.

To be useful, those ELL services really need to run through to
Willesden, to make orbital journeys easier.

True.

tom

--
We all need mirrors to remind us who we are. -- Photophobe the Solipsist, of Memento