Old April 18th 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Vernon Vernon is offline

Default Southern doors problem

wrote in message
oups.com...
The fundamental problem is that South Central (I refuse to insult the
British Railways operator by using the new name) does not trust its
train crews and door releases have to be done by GPS and not a human
being. This adds an unnessecary element to go wrong.

When the driver presses door release the train has to be certain its
where it is meant to be before a release will occur. If it dont know
where it is you have to hope the driver can get an emergency release,
if he cannot get one of those then its waiting time.

Take the GPS out and put it back to the guard/driver to open the doors
and YAHTZEE you have less door related problems.

In my opinion a case of being too complicated and therefore shooting
itself in the foot!

Sounds like a likely scenario because apparently the on-board "next station"
display was showing Ford as it was approaching Gatwick which suggests that
the GPS had really got itself screwed up..