Old April 18th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default OT (sorry) Paris Metro help

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:16:42 +0200, "Ralf Hermanns"
wrote:

Hi!

Sorry for posting off-topic concerning the Paris Metro, but since my French
language is very limited, I cannot really post into french groups. I hope to
find English languagepeople here that know Paris a bit, and like to share
some advice.

My French is OK and I've been to Paris loads of times.

My question is: What is the best way to get from Charles-de-Gaulle Airport
(landing: 20 min past 8pm, weekday) to the Porte de Bagnolet, and what
prices can be expected?
I found, using the routeplanner on www.ratp.fr that following can be used:
Bus 351 (45mins, ticket: orange 5? price: ?)

This is a direct bus which looks to be express for quite a part of the
journey. As it is rather long you need to validate for the number of
sectors covered. For your trip you will cover 7 sectors and therefore
you need to validate 3 tickets per person. Best thing to do is buy a
couple of Carnets at 10.50 euros which means each trip is 3.15 euros per
person as opposed to buying full price single tickets at 1.40 euros per
ticket which would mean you would pay 4.20 euros per person (3 tickets
per person). Most Paris bus routes are now flat fare but the 351 is not.
I know that all sounds a bit complicated but if you have luggage it will
be far more convenient that using the RER and Metro as you will need to
change twice.

Combination of RER, and Metro ligne 4 and 3 (2 changes, 1:05h, ticket/Price:
7,5 Euro?)

I agree with this. My first look at the route involves changing at Gare
du Nord to the Metro. Be warned that the interchange at Gare Du Nord is
very big and the walks are quite long between the lines. You will also
go in and out of ticket gates between the various systems. I can't
recall what the interchange is like between lines 4 and 3 at Republique.

I see that the ratp search result sends you via Chatelet Les Halles -
that's one of the biggest underground stations I've ever been in and
again some of the connections can be quite long.

If you have not been to Paris before then when using the RER you need to
look for the destination of the train. There is usually a big display
showing where the trains stop - typically all trains serve the main
central area stations but the service pattern becomes more irregular if
you travel beyond the centre of Paris. There are also 4 letter codes for
the different services - there is usually an explanatory list on the
platform that says where the train stops - you really only need that if
you travel to the suburbs as I do. Travelling from the Airport won't be
a problem though as the trains start there and head into Paris.

On the Metro remember both the line number and the end destination as
the signage works on "direction Nation" or "direction La Defense".
Therefore when considering what way to go look for your station and then
follow the line to the end station to determine the direction you want.
There are lists of stations on signs to direct you to the platforms. I
got horribly lost once but that's only because I assumed (wrongly) that
the signs would like the tube in London. It's easy once you get the hang
of it.

What would a taxi (4 person) for this journey be approx.?

No idea - I rarely if ever use taxis.

How good are the signs around the Airport? Is it easy to find the way from
Terminal 1 to the Bus/RER-Station?

It is a very long time since I have flown to Paris - I tend to take the
train!. My experience of most airports is that there is very clear
signage to local transport. Using the local maps on the RATP website it
is clear to me that the 351 bus stop is just outside terminal one and is
beside the express Roissybus link to central Paris. It is also beside
the RER station at Terminal 1 so simply aim yourself in the direction of
the buses and trains to Central Paris and you will find the stop for the
351. Having eventually found a guide to the airport that makes some
sense if would appear the exit 30 on the arrivals level is the door to
head for in order to find the buses. There is a tourist information desk
just outside where you leave the baggage reclaim / customs area and
enter the main passenger terminal.

http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01.nsf/0/39D43CF84AA356F9C1256D88004C5EC7/$File/Guide%20Pratique_CDG_2003.pdf

but it is in French. There are maps though of terminal one and the
"quitter aeroport" section on page 82 gives details of how to leave the
airport via the various modes. "Navette" means shuttle bus.

Thanks!
Ralf

Again, apologies for posting this to UK/London group, but I will get even
less results if I try my french...

No problem.

I hope the above information proves to be of some help to you. Out of
all of the options I'd use the 351 bus as it is simple and direct.
--
Paul C