Old April 19th 05, 01:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Why are Silverlink Metro trains NEVER on time ?

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:08:40 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

That might work but it complicates the service somewhat (say you want to
head home from Bank to Willesden Junction; you need to check what time
of day it is before you set off via either the Central/Bakerloo or the
Northern/Silverlink), which could be an annoyance.

At least if it were Bakerloo all day, then you could be sure to head for
Oxford Circus. It would probably be annoying with either a gradual
switchover from off-peak to peak (or v.v.) or a sudden one - if it's
gradual, you get a split service from both Euston and Oxford Circus
which annoys everyone, and if it's sudden, then you might get stuck on
the way to Oxford Circus and miss the Bakerloo services out to
Willesden, and have to switch direction and head for Euston instead.

Not necessary - you would *always* be able to get the Bakerloo to
Queen's Park, and then change there if necessary. Just like most
people do currently in fact (only 1 Bakerloo in 3 continues through to
Harrow & Wealdstone, and there's a chance of connecting with a
Silverlink ex Euston) - unless, of course, they wish to memorise the
Silverlink times and travel from Euston instead (which commuters would
be more prepared/likely to do).

I'm sure a large number of offices are within easy walking distance from
Bakerloo line stations. Piccadilly Circus is one of the most useful
stations in London! Admittedly for me it's usually a starting point to
waste money on things I don't need (alcoholic or otherwise) but there's
very dense employment around there.

The Northern line destinations which are easily reachable from Euston
seem equally reachable using the Bakerloo, since you have to change at
Euston anyway.

Yeah but the point is, the Silverlink offers a reduced journey time to
many locations compared to the Bakerloo. By the time the Silverlink
reaches Euston, the Bakerloo is still at Edgware Road.

and to all parts of the City with a single change. Euston provides a
direct service to neither, requiring a single change in both cases.
Euston also has an interchange disadvantage compared to Bakerloo
stations, particularly when transferring to Euston Square.

True. As i mention above, though, some changes are easier - the Northern
line, basically.

Admittedly I've rarely done that change, but is it really any easier
than the change at Oxford Circus to the Central?

I'd say journey time is what matters more to commuters and regular
travellers anyway.