Old April 19th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Conductor in Charge of.......... Conductor in Charge of.......... is offline

Default Southern doors problem and the CIS as well!!

JMUpton2000 wrote:
Serious issues seem to repeatedly arise on the Arun Valley's notably:

Last carriage(s) refusing to open at Victoria (especially in on

platform 19)
Ununusually long delays between stopping at Vic and then actually

opening
the doors.
The GPS system quite often seems to refuse the existence of Redhill

(down
side) mind you if I had my way, I would want to block Redhill from
exsistence as well!!

The delay at Vic of approx 20 secs is because the train cannot get a
GPS signal and the driver has to do it all manually!

And then there is the farce of the on board CIS (Customer Information
System) system:

To give it the correct title P.I.S - which it takes quite a lot!!

Swanick seems never to be recognised as having been passed through

and
continues to say 'The next station is Swanick' all the way to Soton

or
Fareham!
The station stops on the Arun Valley's are frequently either in the

wrong
direction ('We are now arrving at London Victoria...' when you are

heading
south through Arundel!!) or alternatively the wrong stops displayed

(Redhill
and Horley usually).

Wrong stops can be due to driver mistyping the PIS code into MITRAC or
being given the wrong code.

I note that there are a few Conductors who just get fed up with the

system
and after a few stations just turn it off!! (To those I say thank

you!!!!)

Don;t thank us, we can't do it! The driver is the only one who can turn
it off. All we can do is put up the information messages and make PAs.

Another irritation is the seemingly total lack of abililty by

Southern to
show destination detail on splitters. South Eastern manage to

achieve it
with coach numbers stated for individual coaches, on Southern however

chaos
seems to reign. It is most odd going to Bognor Regis on a train that

until
Haywards Heath claims it is going to Hastings and any of the

innumerable of
dopey (read dumb) tourists on the line must end up in the most

obscure of
places!!

Lack of detail, and lack of ability to properly split!! On SWT the
guard can make announcements to the whole train, Front 4, Middle 4, or
Rear 4. We can only announce to the whole train!

Rant over - except can they please shut that irritating announcer

lady up or
turn her volume down, some of us in the front coach are trying to get

some
shut eye you know!!

The ping pongs have been moaned about so many times now! All we need is
'We are now approaching xxxx' This train is the 'xxxx' service your
next station is 'xxxx', the scrolls are fine as you can choose whether
or not to pay attention to them, but listing all calling points at
every stop is madness!